Monday, June 21, 2010

Train mishap...

17/06/2010, Thursday
It was precisely 10:00 am morning last year 14th June ’09. Gosh, I never knew I have such a nice memory. Thanks to the genes I inherited. Well, I am dating back to June 14th, which is also my uncle’s birth-date (may be the reason I remember the date).
I was on a long leave after my final semester exams and life was never more pleasing than this. Engineering finished, ended up with a decent paying core job, joining date not later than 2 months and resting at home. I was contended with my life, a bit annoyed at that time as I had to travel Chennai same day at 11:30 pm for some passport formalities. The only part that excited me was Q reaching Chennai few hours later the same day I was scheduled to reach. “Q” who unknowingly became an integral part of my life.
Waking up at 10 was infact quiet earlier than my usual routine those days and the reason I was up by 10 that day was the scheduled Puja. All the close relatives were supposed to visit and I had to get ready before guests start arriving. Relatives and puja, two troubles together, one trouble was not enough while the other was inevitable. Puja with relatives instantly flashes a scene in my mind as a car struck mid-way in traffic, no way to move, smoke and dust coming from all the directions and horns honking. No escape until you are about to faint. Believe me the same happened when everyone arrived, rooms were jam-packed and nowhere to sit. Outside it was the sun which was showing its brilliance, challenging everyone and teasing “I know what you did last summer”. Damn, even worse were the fumes of oil coming from the kitchen, I guess it was pooris. There was no escape and I had nothing else to do rather than listening to ear-piercing gossips or to get into deep thoughts. I chose the latter. I got nostalgic and was thinking about Q, imagining how things were in Q’s presence.
Pundit has already started his chants and kids playing various games in the background on the score of desert coolers. I don’t think I need to describe the time period in which puja and other rituals took place, a glimpse of students sitting inside a classroom where history is being taught is sufficient to describe the scenario. The worst part isn’t over yet, it created a mini stampede (I would rather call it as stamp-feet), when the pundit called everyone for “havan”. The oil-fumes from pooris were not enough I guess. The smoke from havan filled the room making everyone cough; I’m still doubt how a mist of carbon and its dangerous compounds can be considered sacred. Finally, it was the time for “Aarti”, all the ladies sang a hymn, gents tried to sing while children confused whom to imitate, all ended up in an ultimate chaos. At the end of all the discomfort I had, it was the first time I committed myself to god. I never knew how to worship until I knew how to love. Anyways, all is well what ends well. A thought prevailed “Is man one of God's blunders or is God one of man's blunders?”. Whatever, it was time for lunch, the moment not only me but, everyone were waiting since morning. I ate with a bunch of people but, still alone; Q was missing.
Although tired, I felt bit relieved and relaxed after I had delicious and heavy supper. Time passed by and clock ticked 3 pm. I had already procrastinated printing my tickets and had to finish off my packing as well. I went to a cyber café nearby to get the prints and what I saw was an utter disbelief to my eyes. The departure time of train was 11:30 am instead of 11:30 pm. I was dumbstruck at that moment and literally blank faced for a minute. I gathered courage to accept the fact that it was the biggest blunder I had ever committed but, laughed at myself like anything. But, the shock wasn’t over. How the hell can I tell this at home when every relative near and distant was present? Apart from all the gags, I knew it will spoil my image and would bring a big Q mark on my common sense or whatever it may be; proper sense perhaps. I don’t know what sense it is but, definitely I flushed it that morning. Wait a minute; is it Q who made me absent-minded? I wondered why it’s trying to dominate my life. Infact Q was already controlling my life. I will never get convinced that God does not play dice. I believe God is a sadist.

5 comments:

  1. seriously mast likha hai, halaki q ka andazza mujhe jara bhi nahin pr plzz jaldi bata dena kaun hai yeh Q, nice beginning n hoping to see more frm u, incrediblaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello......15th June ko mera b'day hai....Q k karan bhool nhi jana.......;)

    ReplyDelete